6.5.09

I Should Have Known

I'm used to little obsessions: I know the opening date of the next Harry Potter film (my 25th birthday - what!), I have watched The Two Towers with cast commentary more than without, I check the Portland Art Museum website almost as often as I check blogs, etc. I am aware of these things and I own up to them.

I'm not used to unknown, or unaddressed, obsessions popping up, almost out, in every day life.
[I am starting to see that many people are pretty obsessed with this, too]
This week I moved cubicles. This is semi-unpleasant, but that's another story. Regardless to how I feel about this new location, there are certain facts about my situation - I sit just past a woman named Daphne. I pass her name on the edge of her cubicle every time I walk to my desk. I do not know her last name, but when I walk by I think "Daphne Farquitt". She is a character in the Jasper Fforde "Thursday Next" novels. I thought it was kind of funny that I thought of that Daphne first, as we have only just this year gotten into Fforde.

But then today Tori mentioned she is reading a book called "Ophelia" - it's supposedly "Hamlet" from Ophelia's perspective. I actually started to tell her that I had read that/knew about it/it's well known, when I realized that I've never actually heard of such a thing, but in a certain Thursday Next book, Hamlet moves in with Thursday's mom and meanwhile, back at the castle, Ophelia messes with the play and it becomes all about her.

[On googling "Ophelia" images, this is my favorite]
So, I guess I'm now seeing Fforde as my measure of reality. If that's the case, I think life might be getting more interesting.

4 comments:

OffBelay said...

LOL.. I love you guys for introducing me to those books.

Em said...

haha that picture is priceless :)

emelina said...

LOVES it.

Also, my word verification is "stoners." hahahahaha!

Allison said...

like that driver in front of me last night on burnside!