10.3.10

On Reading and Books

Josh and I tend to read quite a bit.
I had started to feel like all we do is watch tv, but then when I sat and really thought about it, I think we've both read at least an average amount of books (for us), if not more, this year. I wish I kept some sort of running list, but that seems to be too much work.

And while I haven't been to the library in a while, I haven't been neglecting my literary side: I've taken to REreading. And I rather like it!

Cohabitating with another reader has meant a large increase in not only my library, but also my literary influences and range. Josh and I do lean toward a lot of the same books, but we have also have other tastes, so I've spent a lot of reading time in the last year on books that I probably would never have found or read on my own.

Then recently I branched out in a direction Josh will never go (vampire teen fiction - need I be more specific?). That added about oh... 2000 odd pages to my yearly reading. Then, to combat the quality (or lackthere of) of that genre, I read a few notable authors I hadn't tried yet, and then started in on the rereading.

Last week I reread "My Name is Asher Lev" (one of my favorites) and loved it all over again.
This week I reread "Out of the Silent Planet" and started on "Perelandra". It's been a while, but it never ceases to amaze me how much I can forget of a book.

Rereading is exciting. I recommend it.

2 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

I also had to load up on good literature as soon as I finished Twilight. I followed it up directly with My Antonia, Out of the Silent Planet, Little Women, and even finally made it through David Copperfield (which I have to say, despite the wonderful Dickens' wrap up ending, I was not a huge fan of).

Allison said...

Haha! i just reread out of the silent planet and am on perelandra. so funny. i haven't reread any dickens - i need a vacation or large chunk of time for that.