4.12.07

And Now for Something Completely Different.

Jacques-Louis David.
We learned a bit about this man today. We learned how he was a political chameleon and how that saved his life, how he was the nephew of Boucher, all that important stuff. My professor was humorous, as usual, but he really didn't even need to bother - the images are funny enough. Usually when I think of David, I associate him with the masters, appreciate his skills, etc. But today it was just funny.


Here is his self-portrait, painted during his brief stay in jail after the Revolution. I'm pretty sure this is where Zoolander got his look.
This piece is called "Paris and Helen". It was commissioned by a count someone or another, brother to King Louis XVI (I'm getting really good with keeping my Louis straight these days), is a mythological story and all, but that doesn't really interest me so much as what Paris is wearing. Sandals, scarf and gnome hat! WHAT in the world! Seriously, it kills me. I just sat in class and laughed.

No comments: