26.3.08

Wait, where?

In the last week I have spoken with two different individuals who reminded me again of how little Southerners (generalization) know about what or where Oregon is. Last week someone was talking about how Oregon wasn't that long of a drive, and, seeing my confused face, said, "Isn't it over by Iowa?". This week, a friend looked confused when I said one could view whales in Oregon. She asked where and I said "in the water". Josh apologized for my sarcasm, and then we proceeded to discuss that yes, Oregon is a coastal state.
But I too am always discovering new things about Portland and Oregon. In my search of possible alternative locations to Ankeny Square for wedding photos, I discovered that in 1984 (good year) there was a performance sculpture at the Portland Art Museum. Very awesome, indeed.

3 comments:

OffBelay said...

I too was amazed at this when I was traveling. I ran into someone in Texas who thought we in Oregon still lived in Log Cabins and didn't have running water in them. He was a bit confused when I was attending a network training seminar in Dallas.

-shrug- I am amazed at the generalizations people will make even now.

emelina said...

just yesterday, i was mailing a package to oregon, and they people started arguing about how to pronounce it.
i'll admit though, i once forgot georgia was a coastal state.

OffBelay said...

I used to tell people this way..

Ore-gun (as in we all have one and will shoot you for pronouncing it wrong.. :-) )

They usually laugh, and that sticks it in their heads..