20.9.06

Those Words

...Contrite. What does contrite mean? Who even knows? It's one of those words. Like zeal. And that other word - what was it? [five minutes later]: diligently. Did you say persistently? I think it's the same thing.

Okay, either christianese is encompassing a whole new level of words these days, or the public school system is not teaching vocabulary. The above was the not quite verbatim discourse of a few of my jr hiers tonight. They came up with maybe five more words of similar caliber a couple minutes later that I unfortunately cannot now recall. Equally as easy to define while not quite fitting for daily conversations around the lunch table or at recess. I guess.

1 comment:

Pamela Joy said...

That's funny. Jr. Highers are funny. But I wasn't sure where you were going with that at first, I thought you were seriously complaining and I was like, um Ally? Are you serious? Aren't you an english major. And then I felt pretty smart that I had no trouble with those "difficult" words and then I wondered if that meant I was way to full of Christianeese, and then I thought... no I don't think so but maybe... and THEN (about 5 seconds after the beginning of that list) I read the rest of the post, and it all made sense. Middle schoolers are funny, and maybe a little bit stupid. ;-)