23.9.06

Time's Almost Up

As the words "I'd better get some good sleep in cos school starts monday" slipped out of my mouth, it hit like a sack of books that my attempts to conquer the Summer Reading List 2006 is over.
The results are not as grim as some years, though not very impressive. Perhaps I set my goal too high. Perhaps that is not possible.

The Completed:

The Count of Monte Christo, Dumas
The Abolition of Man, Lewis
Reading Lolia in Tehran, Nafisi
More Work for the Undertaker, Allingham
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Solzhenitsyn
Carry On, Jeeves, Wodehouse
Remains of the Day, Ishiguro

The Nearly Completed:

The Confessions of St Augustine, Augustine
The Idiot, Dostoyevsky
Dubliners, Joyce

4 comments:

Megs said...

wow al. i'm impressed with what you have read. i was like yay i read a lot this summer...but it's all fluffy stuff compared to that!
i have to read confessions in my classics in religious lit class *i love that class! *

Pamela Joy said...

I'd say you've done pretty gosh dang well for yourself girly. I miss fiction something awful right now, but there's just no way I can read anything more than I am required to read for school. No way at all. I am going to have to borrow Harry Potter 4 from you over Christmas break... and I never finished 3 either... How's that for sophisticated reading??

Have you ever read any Douglas Coupland? Bethy turned me onto him this summer. If you haven't you definetly should... Next break...

Béthany said...

love Ishiguro. I read "Never Let me Go" this "summer" and it made me happy like only a good novel can.

It describes the life of a group of kids in a castle-type boarding house in northern England, with eeriely similar characteristics to our ex-home. And its a woven tale, its not just a school tale.

Unknown said...

I thought Douglas Coupland was great when I was 16, living in a small town and was sure that the rest of the world actually spoke and acted like his characters. Then I moved to a big city and realized that everyone, everywhere is as full of hot air as I am, well, his books really lost their loftiness.

Stick to the classics, friend. They're called classics for a reason.