5.12.06

Inspired by Emily

I thought, after reading Emily's blog, that I ought to create a projected Winter Break reading list.
I took one look at my bookshelf, crowded and chaotic like an airport at Christmas, and scratched that idea.
I think I might just close my eyes, spin around, pin the tail on the donkey style and grab a few - who knows what I might come up with. Or maybe I should just finish things I've non-commitedly picked up (and put down) over the past six months.

As for books not on my shelf... This list appeared out of notes taken during Borges and Calvino:

"Earth, Sea" trilogy Ursula Le Guin
Anything by Ursula Le Guin
Kafka
Kant

"The Periodic Table" Primo Levi

Zamyatin

Brodsky

"One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
"Slaughter House Five"

Georges Perec

R. L. Stevenson

J. G. Ballard

Octavio Butler

"Stars 'n Bars" William Boyd

"Slowness" Milan Kundera

"Popular Music from Vittula" Mikael Niemi

"Stolen Spring" Hans Scherfig


I'm wondering... has anyone read any of these? School leaves me feeling terribly illiterate.

5 comments:

lyss said...

Ursula Le Guin!

Anonymous said...

First of all, can I just say how lame "blogger beta" is? I always write comments and then realize I haven't signed in and then I lose my comment. I gave in in a moment of weakness and "upgraded" baaaad decision.

Anyway, I've read Metamorphasis by Kafka, maybe another one of his too, can't remember. I think you and Josh should read it to each other on the plane, it will keep you and your fellow passengers quite entertained... plus they're short. The only down side is him being incredibly weird and depressing... but you know... Czechs...

I know what you mean about college making you feel horribly unread. Its even worse at Wheaton because I need to have read all the great literature and all the great theologians and philosophers as well. Oh well... that's what the rest of our lives when we're not in school are for, right?

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I've read cookoo's nest too, and I think slaughterhouse might be on my Christmas break list. Heh, I just had to interject that because I know you're way better read than I am. Waaay.

Lola Bacon said...

Bob has read "slowness" by Milan Kundera and says it is absolutely amazing. The ending left him stunned. And it takes a lot to stun that guy!

Emma Rose said...

You should do what I do and just not read. Then you can feel illiterate all the time. :)