4.9.07

A Day in the Academic Life...

Let me begin by voicing my infuriation with people who sign up for literature classes, but, by all appearances, hate literature and or reading. Or simply happen to hate whatever it is we are reading, or choose not to read it at all. I was surrounded by them today in class. There were three - one in front, one to my left, and one behind me and two rows left. They were not even proficient in expounding on their boredom and lack of interest in the assigned material. Proust was the assigned topic of the day, and, while I am fully aware that there are a great many people in the world who do not understand, appreciate, or enjoy in any way the style in which he writes, if you're going to complain about it, please at least have read it. Or if you found it "intense", think about why that is, and rather than just quit, or shrug it off because it was too much for you, take a moment to slow down, re read, or maybe even use your brain. That helps a lot. Yeah, who would have thought, right?
In earlier classes, things were interesting in other ways. For instance, in my first class of the day, my professor gave an example by dancing around the room. I suppose this is her job (she is the head of the Dance Department, and the class is History of Dance), but it never fails to force me to suppress a smile.
In 18th Century art history, I learned that the largest collection of Catholic, Baroque paintings is owned by Bob Jones University, in nearby Greenville. This knowledge created a rift of laughter throughout the classroom. It is funny on so many levels.
Between classes I drank a full nalgene of water, due to the heat, but I have overcome the inability to walk at a normal speed.
At lunch, Josh and I discovered "Santorini", the Greek fast food on campus: delicious and not as expensive as the Colloquium.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I so told you Bob Jones had a large an impressive art collection. I know I did.