11.9.07

My New Friend.

I had a new friend today at lunch. An iced coffee drinking friend who joined me for the better part of my morning hour between History of Dance and when I meet Josh for lunch.
There is a certain table in a certain square where I like to sit while I wait for Josh to get out of class. The certain table is not so special but that it's in the shade, has an umbrella, is not too close to the garbage, the door or the walkway. There are plenty of tables, but tables outside a cafe are like seats on a bus - everyone is aware that seats are necessary, limited and situated in close proximity to the others, so finding a way to be comfortable yet as far away from everyone else as possible is the paradigm for choosing one's seat. My table taste is rather narrow, leaving me limited options. I generally get the table I want, or something near to it. There was nothing particularly different about my table today, but as I turned my seat out to get settled, the thought that I had not yet sat at that particular table crossed my mind. It was near a youngish tree.
I'm not so sure that the table or the tree played a part in my extraordinary experience, but it may have. No matter. I had just sat down with my narrowly gotten mocha on my breakfast plan, when I thought I felt something in my hair. I reached up, and, on feeling something sort of larger than I expected and of a different texture, I made a sort of grabbing and throwing gesture. To my great surprise it was a baby lizard that ended up on my open Bible where I had accidentally thrown it. He was green and about two inches long. And very cute.
I think he was lost or confused or something because he kept crawling back to me. After he was sure that I wasn't going to squash him or flick him away, he came close enough to lick the condensation off my iced grande nonfat mocha.
So I have come to the conclusion that the wildlife at USC are friendlier than the students. Especially the squirrels, but that's another story.

4 comments:

lyss said...

Ahaha!

Emma Rose said...

I don't like snakes, alligators, spiders, grasshoppers, OR squirrels. But so far, I've liked all the lizards I've met pretty well.

Oh! Allie, I forgot to tell you earlier in the midst of all my ranting: I think my grandma's neighbors have a pink crepe myrtle tree in their yard! thought of you. It's actually why I called. Hah.

Court said...

maybe it thought your were it's mother

emelina said...

hillsdale squirrels are mentally challenged from years of inbreeding.

funny you said that courtnay, cause i definitely thought of the "are you my mother?" book.

also, i had a fun time imagine your grabbing and throwing motion.