13.7.08

City Girl

I was reminded this weekend, oh so bluntly, that I grew up in a city and am a city girl. Now, this is a true statement, but a totally unfair judgment: I said a particular tree branch was too thick to cut with my hedge trimmer tool whereby Josh said "you just don't know how to use them right" and hacked the branch off. Whatever man - I just was not strong enough and at the wrong angle.
However.
A few hours later I found myself standing in a barn with three goats, watching two of them get sheared - something I've never witnessed before. Also, I learned that goats eat baking soda, get lice that people don't share, and like to stand up on their back hooves and fall over, bashing each other on the head, when they are happy. Between the goat experiences and making sure I kept a healthy distance from the chickens (I also learned how to tell if an egg is eatably fresh, and what duck eggs look like), I can readily admit that I am a city girl.
But I would like everyone to know that while I am a city girl, I can go to the country and have a good time, work hard, and come home covered in cuts and bug bites (aka I am not a wus). Of course it was fun.
Thank you.

2 comments:

Elleah said...

Wow! Sounds interesting! When I worked construction one summer (yes, I did construction), we were putting an addition on a barn and I saw a calf being born. It was disgusting, disturbing (the mom cow was howling/mooing) and fascinating all at the same time!

Em said...

so i think you need to come visit us....JK we're not that southern but we miss you!!!