30.6.09

Thoughts for the Day

In "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller, in chapter eight The Clues of God, he quotes art critic Arthur C. Danto, as he "once described a work of art that gave him a sense of 'obscure yet inescapable meaning'. In other words, while great art does not 'hit you over the head' with a simple message, it always gives you a sense that life is not a 'tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.' It fills you with hope and gives you the strength to carry on, though you cannot define what it is that moves you."
I love this chapter and how it forces me to stop every few paragraphs and praise God for who He is.
I now want to find an instalation by Shirin Neshat. I'm sure I could find her work on youtube, but that seems somehow a little wrong. I think I saw her work at SFMoMA, but I can't see it satasfactorily clearly enough in my mind. I love that feeling of 'obscure yet inescapable meaning' because of the reasuring sense of existence, but also because reminds me that I am created in God's image and He created the whole world in such a way that we can see Him and create art. For in Him we live and move and have our being.

No comments: