21.1.10

Mt St Helens is Out

In Portland we often refer to days when "the mountain is out", referring to whether or not we can see Mt Hood. Recently, we've had days with just partial clouds where the base of Mt Hood was visit, which mostly counts. I can still see how much snow is on it, and it usually means it's not raining, and there is at least some sun coming through.
But today, while Josh and I were driving across the Marquam bridge, after I had distracted him by pointing out the gravely area just South of OMSI where a scene from Leverage was filmed in the episode we watched last night, I spotted St Helens. Haven't seen that mountain in ages! It felt sort of like seeing an old friend - ah! Mt St Helens, we've missed you! I felt almost like I'd forgotten what she looked like.
Now this evening at work, the sky is blue with pink and grey clouds. I stood up from my cubicle to walk around for a few minutes and spotted her again, this time with a cloud casting a shadow on the top half, but she was not enveloped.

No comments: