20.5.06

Funny Like That.

Maybe it comes from not living together very often, but Josh and I have some difficulty when it comes to planning and carrying out dates. Maybe because the nervous anticipation of wondering what kind of impression you're going to be making on the other person doesn't really exist for us because we know each other so well. Maybe we just got accustomed to having unplanned (yet not premeditated) so called "dates" (as Janell insists they were) at Capernwray that either consisted of shirking dish-clearing duty by sitting for an hour talking after tea, or finding a quiet place on saturday and watching a movie.
On the other hand, one might consider all the totally rad things we've gotten to do together dates - and in that case, we're very organized and pretty much master the task.This past visit, we had a pretty funny experience with the whole date thing. And unfortunately, since I was the hostess this time, the blame falls on me. The thing is that I wanted Josh to experience Thai food. Thai food is yummiest ever and we have loads of Thai places in Portland, so I thought that'd be a good idea. To make a long story short, I picked somewhere I'd never been, ended up looking for it in NW rather than NE Portland, adding an extra half hour of driving, upon arrival, discovered that the place only took cash (whaa?), and ended up having to go somewhere else that I knew I liked and probably should have just gone to in the first place. Then we drove around a bit after, trying to decide if we wanted Coffee Time or not, and when we decided we did, and after waiting in line forever (since they always only have one barista), received really nasty, incorrectly made chai. Whaaaaaat is up.

But it was fun anyway
: we had fun joking around about how frustrating and awkward it would have been if it really had been our 3rd date in a normal amount of time (not 3rd in a year as is the case); Josh discovered that he likes Thai; and I finally wore a dress on a date.
And the moral of the story is: Good company makes up for bad plans.

3 comments:

Court said...

good company is the best plan.
fyi. I felt bad talking to josh on the phone when I knew you were sitting right there. However, I wasn't in the mood to really talk to I just passed on the hi.
I love you. Hope I see you this side of heaven.

heidi said...

i used to put espresso in chai when i worked at starbucks! i'm glad dresses and dates and pictures are in your life.

Lola Bacon said...

It's so true! Even the crappiest evenings can end up fun with the right person. *sigh* being married is great.