10.10.06

Almost Awkward

You know those moments - we all have them - when you find yourself so intently staring off into space that all of a sudden your face is unbreakably transfixed in a look of possession: the face straight ahead, the eyes wide and glazed, the eyebrows slightly arched, forehead wrinkled. Your mind then resurrects before your sensibilities and you have a strong sensation of being zoned but have no faculties for fully awaking into reality, space and time. And then you're back, blinking and mildly confused, wondering what you missed and who noticed.
During class this morning I caught someone across the room from me frozen in this state. His features grew more and more exaggerated and comical till I almost started to laugh. In my comfortable state of listening, not quite bored yet fiddling with my paper and pencil, I proceeded to make a quick almost anime style sketch of him in his humorous state. Then I had a sensation of my classmates on either side noticing my doodlings. A sudden sense of fear that they might recognize him and realize my exploitation of his tiredness, I quickly turned my page over and resumed my squiggles and squares on the other side.

3 comments:

lyss said...

HHHHHHAAAAAHAHAHA!

Pamela Joy said...

Hehe, that was good. That made me chuckle happily.

Megs said...

ha i was just talking about this state with a friend today....so excellent. i heart you berry berry much