19.11.07

Discovery.

"'It's as good as the real thing! cried Dora.
--'Nothing's as good as the real thing,' said Peter. 'It's odd that even a perfect imitation, as soon as you know it's an imitation, gives much less pleasure. I remember Kant says how disappointed your guests are when they discover that the afterdinner nightingale is a small boy posted in the grove.'
--'A case of the natural attractiveness of truth,' said Michael."
(from The Bell, 1958)

While searching for articles about Virginia Woolf and
Mrs. Dalloway, I came across one that compared Mrs. D with a novel entitled A Severed Head, by one Iris Murdoch, of whom I have somehow managed to prance through life never having heard of. But now I have, and I also discovered an interesting looking film biography of her starting Judi Dench, Jim Broadbent (soon to be Prof. Slughorn), and Kate Winslet - what a cast.
My curiosity has been sparked.

No comments: