28.7.07

The Benefits of Wheatgrass

"With such a great emphasis placed on cleanliness in our society, it's a wonder so few people are concerned about the problem of internal filth. After years of living in polluted surroundings we shouldn't be so naive as to believe that we have eliminated efficiently and perfectly every toxin we have consumed via the food we eat, air we breathe, and water we drink. In reality, not one person alive is unaffected by environmental hazards." -The Wheatgrass Book, Ann Wigmore (1985)

This excerpt is taken from Chapter 3: How Wheatgrass Chlorophyll Works, and the first part of the section entitled Guarding Against Environmental Hazards. If you know me well, you've probably heard me talk about wheatgrass, tell stories about wheatgrass, and try to talk you into trying wheatgrass. Emily bought me this book for my birthday, and as I've had a few minutes here and there I've started reading it. For the most part it just makes me laugh- it reminds me of my upselling sales pitch and of good times with friends at Bibo, as well as just sounding really Portland (talking about eating "live" foods and how bad processed foods and non organic foods are, etc).
When I came across this little section, though, it rang familiar, but for a different reason. Maybe it's because I've spent this summer up to my ears in 1 Peter, or maybe it's just the product of years of hearing and saying that it's what's on the inside that counts, that is most important to be taken care of. Not so much the liver or "energy flow" or anything like that, but the heart and mind that need to be kept clean and detoxed from time to time.
I love that now when I think of wheatgrass I can see a totally rad metaphor for not only physical health but spiritual health, as well.
So drink up!

1 comment:

lyss said...

sweet connection. Does that place by PSU (which I've still never seen) sell wheatgrass? I think you said it did, but that was like last year.
...I feel a craving coming on...
mmm :D