10.7.07

Harry Potter Life

I've discovered it is possible to recount important parts and phases of my life by Harry Potter (books and films). I still recall the first time I read a Harry Potter book: sitting in a high ceilinged, blue and white kitchen in Irvington, I read aloud form the Chamber of Secrets to a couple of seven year old boys. That was back in my first summer of high school.
Later, I remember asking all of my friends to go see the "Sorcerer's Stone" with me in the theater. No takers, till finally my sister consented, and of course, loved it.
The next memory I have is of babysitting on a lon
g winter day for a sick child and reading for 6 hours straight from The Goblet of Fire. That was back in Bibo time, and babysitting was, at times, a nice little change of pace. Then I realized I needed to read the Prisoner of Azkaban, the only one I had not read, up to date.
Then came book number five, which I read aloud at the Irvington club to kids and lifeguards alike. Then, my mom boug
ht it for me in just enough time for me to take it on my second trip to Virginia with Rosie. I wondered at how I would look on the plane with that gigantic book, only to find that I could see from where I was sitting at least three other adults hunched over their fat blue books with the same hungry look in their eyes as they flipped pages faster and faster. The Order of the Phoenix also reminds me of later that summer loaning it to people from Westminster, and to Bibo friends, as well as people from Temple. It seems so long ago.
The third film came out right before Capernwray, and I was terribly disappointed that on my long and fabulously comfortable flight to London, it was the only movie I really watch, and t
he only one that was malfunctioning. Van Helsing and Mean Girls (in French), had to substitute. Also at Capernwray, Danny had the three films and we made Josh watch them... how he complains about how I have corrupted him.
On arriving home the Half blood Prince came out, right after my superfun visit to Seattle to see Janice and Courtnay. Janice and I spent a good deal of our time squealing with excitement over the upcoming book. I read it at the Oregon coast with Emily, another friend who has fallen in love with Harry and Hogwar
ts and England and all.
The fourth film I sadly was unable to see on it's
first day, but enjoyed seeing multiple times with Pamela, who was living with us at the time, Emily, my Dad, and then with Josh and Mr White on my first visit to the Schrecks. I remember hearing that Sophie and her friends saw the midnight showing and made Priori Incantatum shirts.
This year has been an interesting year for Harry Potter fans, I feel. I think we've all been a little more excited than usual, due to the coming of the final book. It has moved me to make sure more people have read the books and seen the movies so they can also be excited. We had our big HP marathon with some newly discovered HP friends (Kelly, Micah), as well as some recent converts (Austin, Gabe).
And tonight, tonight at 11:59, I am going
to see "The Order of the Phoenix". To say that I am excited is something of an understatement. But I think I will always remember it and how the rest of my social life is, as usual, in flux. Josh is not seeing it with us; he is in Costa Rica. Emily will be present, as usual. The Floods will be there, and this will possibly be the last time I hang out with them before their move to Cali. It is also notable that I am in town for this showing at all, what with moving to SC later this summer. But it is all good timing - I love my friends and I'm always glad to be spending time with them. And the movie is going to ROCK.

1 comment:

lyss said...

That's quite a Harry Potter timeline, complete with recent converts and everything. I'm impressed (though perhaps a little sorry I'm not a convert myself). :) Well I hope the movie tonight is as good as yall are anticipating!!

Like the new blog look.