20.6.08

It's Official

Usually the last day of school announces the arrival of summer. The last day of school came early this year for me, and, while I was in South Carolina, it was summer. But then I came back to the North West and it was sort of Spring again; I became confused and wondered how I would know when summer arrived.
I am pleased to announce that summer arrived yesterday.
I realized what it was I had been waiting for - why summer wasn't quite here. Josh and I had a little time to kill downtown yesterday, so we wandered into Central Library. I came out with a stack of books, large enough to make Josh laugh, and heavy enough for me to pass them off to him.
So I have my Summer Reading List, and summer can now really begin. (Note: this list may grow.)

Tar Baby, by Toni Morrison
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
The Pearl, by John Steinbeck
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, by Umberto Eco
When We Were Orphans, by Kazuo Ishiguro

I also know it's summer because I was hot when I ran in shorts at 9:30 this morning.

1 comment:

Lola Bacon said...

Well, you know, that and yesterday was the summer solstice, and officially the first official day of summer.