17.6.08

Summer School

I just got back from my first Summer class. I think it's probably the best Capstone for my major and interests, which makes the whole Summer school less tragic (in the Tom Sawyer sort of way).
But when six weeks of libraries, art collections, in depth research, and two papers with presentations is sounding fun, it does make me start to question my sanity. My professor summed it up when she made a certain disclaimer about the class:. "Some people aren't really sure what to expect when they sign up for this class... it is really geeky. So if this class just isn't for you, please, I won't be offended, just let me know in the next two days." Sometimes I forget how geeky art history actually is. Particularly Medieval art history. Also, when my prof was explaining about how we will need to know terms, styles of text, and how to correctly identify and group styles and regions of manuscripts and so on - to remind us how much research we will need to do - she said, "Most of us don't go around with that kind of knowledge in our heads. I mean, if you do, well then great - welcome home! This is the place for you!" And I realized that I do know a lot of regional styles, contextual matter and a fair amount of terms.
Geek heaven, I'm coming home!

2 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

Hey man, there's nothing like enjoying your major. And at least Art History knowledge makes good cocktail party conversation! That's what my professor always consoles us with when we're learning about loads of theorists and very little "practical" information (which I love doing probably about as much as you love your textual terms).

Pamela Joy said...

p.s. you should have seen my gleeful exclamations of "this is so fun!" when I was working my way through the Communist Manifesto. "Oh Karl..." I would sigh, "you're such a card..."