7.9.05

Contending with Mediocrity

As I drove down Fremont on my way home, in the usual evening crawl, I stared half unseeingly at the populous around me. Some in their cars, some leaning on bus stops, some on bikes, some walking, slowly gaining on their destinations. They looked bored and tired in the wind, complexions dulled by the dry, lusterless palette of the almost autumn. I felt the same. I started to dismay at the thought that this is what I was made for, and this was all there will ever be - sitting in a car, watching the light change from red to green, no yellow in between. I shook myself and the moment past. I then began the inner dispute that has more than once held court in my mind, the one that wonders whether or not God will want me to be one of those people who is called to stay in the same place, doing the same thing, driving the same streets their whole life. Could I love it? Could I live it passionately? Could I live it visibly defined by love? I don't know how it could bring Him glory, but I can't see but through a distorted glass - like a foggy, textured window in a bathroom - not the way He sees it.
And that's okay.
There really is more than I see.
(Thank goodness)

"God is saying 'freedom to dance, freedom to sing, freedom to go'. Worship now, worship now - Worship your God. Freedom in liberty."
Gideon (Valley/Victory) by Jason Upton

1 comment:

Janice said...

oh my ally i love you. working on mailing you your hat but life is CRAZY right now so it might be a little bit. well, it's crazy but i love it. i have so much to do and all i want to do is sleep and go to class but unfortunately i have other stuff to do as well, so that's dumb. plus there's like five people living here in a two bedroom apt. right now...INSANE. feels a weensy titchy bit like capernwray. especially because my sister's boyfriend is channeling BJ, this girl staying with us is basically kortny mento, this other guy staying here is exactly like rob mcalister...it's nuts. and i saw a girl this morning sitting at a bus stop as i was driving who looked exactly like you. i almost cried. can you tell i miss you?