27.9.05

The Trauma of Love

Did we know what fun times with strange castlemates were were to have?
A year ago did we have any idea of Luke's amazing dance skills?
Did we know that some crazy German named David would become our Papa? [J, had you named him yet?]
Such great things were to come that we now have the pleasure of calling to mind at our moments of great homesickness.

Meeting up with Capernwray family at home is so strange and wonderful because it's taking something extrodinary and unexpectedly amazing and slamming it in on ordinary life. Sidenote: From what I've learned this week that's called trauma. Supposedly it's not good because it imposes on one's daily life in such a way that one is incapable of living as before. One is transported back to the particular occurence with vivid clarity of the senses.


Doesn't sound too bad to me.


The sight of Luke takes me back to Under The Stairs: the icy chill, freezing you for the rest of the day when the front door is left open once again. The excitement of something in the M box - is it for me? The smell of the main hall's slightly damp carpet. The warmth and comfort of "the cuddle huddle" with Kaylie and J.







Seeing Papa again takes me back to my first dinning room, Dinning Room 3: the sound of half the Zoo, led by Zach, greeting Papa entirely too loudly for 7:45, the weird moldy smell, the importance of being near the radiator, the acceptance of getting a hug from Caleb.



None of us will ever be the same.
Good trauma.

7 comments:

Josh said...

I miss my Papa

emelina said...

ooooh, pammy has really cute shoes.

[and i have bronchitis.]

Court said...

Papa is the one person in the world who makes me smile every time he says my name. I can't believe you guys all get to see each other and hang out. I am so very jelouse. I wish I was american and that's saying ALOT. To Allison, Pam, Papa and Danny. I miss you guys and I am think happy thoughts of you all.

kaylie said...

oh allison i almost forgot about the triangle huddle club, where we wouldn't let anyone else in! that was fun, for us anyways...

oh papa...i love papa, my father-in-law.

Pamela Joy said...

Wow, that really was a wonderful weekend wasn't it Ally?! We are very blessed. I love you. I miss you already (I'm at home this weekend for all of you who DON'T live at Allison's house).

Beth said...

OK, right now, I really wish I lived In the Northwest.

Anonymous said...

way to capitalize underthestairs. you get a gold star. hey it was bitchin seeing you that evening. that's right...BITCHIN.