26.9.05

Teacher Quotes

What a first day.

On Assigned Readings:
"You can read 'em at your leisure. Or not at all."
"Eat your book like lunch."

On Art:
"We went from po-mo to retro and I don't even know how the [blog author's edit] we got there."
"The 1970's was the best movie decade." [this one statement decided for me that I like my arthist prof]

On Relationships:
"The big test of marriage is: can they handle a museum without feeling like they're in a foreign country?"
"Women are not going to rise up against their station if they're medicated." [this out of context]


6 comments:

Michael said...

Are you telling me that movies from the 70's are of especially high quality?!

Allison said...

If you think about it - think of how much progress was made with all sorts of film in teh 70's. And they were pretty much just awesome. So many good movies! They were learning about special effects finally, and a whole lot of comedies started coming out... 70's movies are the best.

Michael said...

I think I need some examples. I can't think of any movies from the 70's that I like.

Allison said...

You are a crazy man.
Okay.. this is all I could think of:

The Sting - 1973
What's up, Doc? - 1972
Star Wars: A New Hope - 1977
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975
Young Frankenstein - 1974
High Anxiety - 1977
Jaws - 1975
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 1977
Rocky - 1976
MASH - 1970
Foul Play - 1978
The Godfather -1972

...shall I go on?

Allison said...

... Fiddler On the Roof - 1971
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 1979
4 James Bond movies:
Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
Live And Let Die (1973)
The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Moonraker (1979)

Yeah...
I'm suck at those right now... Can't think of much else, but those are all good enough to show that the 70's did a whole lot for film as it is today.

Michael said...

OK, you have convinced me. Star Wars, Godfather and James Bond convinced me.