26.6.06

Raspberry Rigor Mortis

It's one hundred degrees in the shade in Portland this June afternoon. And I'm not exaggerating.
See?

Not too long ago, I was sorting raspberries. (Yesterday's heat nearly did them all in, so the pickings were slim.) Oddly, rather than going mushy, many of them had gone all hard and tasteless. I guessed them dead, and blamed the stiffness on rigor mortis.
To avoid the continuance of looking like a dirty hippy, and to avoid the heat, I gave Sister Maria a thorough bath this morning. I was amazed to find that it was necessary to wash not only one section at a time, but one half of a section at one time to keep the soap from drying on. Goodness sakes. This is my reaction to the heat:


6 comments:

Pamela Joy said...

Funny that it´s hotter there than it is here, who´d have thought? Although it was alomst 100 degrees in our room today, or so Bethany told me... I thought it was fine...

emelina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janice said...

yeah it's pretty disgusting up here too, housepainting is becoming an exercise in survival. we sprayed each other with the hose periodicly to stay alive today.

at least you have short hair now...my neck's getting ready to stop holding my head up in protest i think.

Lola Bacon said...

The highs were low seventies in San Fransisco. Suckers.

Megs said...

SICK! It was a bit of a scorcher here as well...so janice rae said. i have a wonderful back yard though that provides breezy shade. worst part about yesterday was having to put shoes on at work! i HATE shoes!!

Josh said...

you need to use the flash or self timer on your camera... I don't like to see your face blurry.