23.9.04

@ "Coffee and Click"

Earl Grey is much better in England, I dare say. Mmmmm. Not so sure about the esspresso, though.
So is club soccer - excuse me, Football. It plays late at night, and since it seems I can find nothing better to do than watch the telly, I discovered this great entertainment. (I'd say the club football is even more fun than the British Soaps...) Going to a match in person is one of those things I absolutely Must do before leaving.
Being a pedestrian, on the other hand, is not better. I am convinced that at the corners lacking the warning "LOOK RIGHT" or "LOOK LEFT" I will meet my end. Really. Pretty much every corner I came to in London had those warnings, but it didnt help too much, but the ammount of extreemely bold people helped my confidence to just walk out in front of the cars. The cars driven by ghosts. It always startles me when I glance into a car and "Holy CRap no one's driving!!" oh wait - they're on the other side.
I think counteracting the ever present clouds is the reason all the houses are red brick and all the store signs are bright colors and all the gardens have crazy amounts of random flowers. It has quite a good effect. When I look out my window over the hills covered in houses and churches, it is far from a dreary sight (especially since it's been sunny off and on) because of those brilliant red bricks and roofs.
Hearing strangers talk is also better here, thus far. That is possibly because I'm rather alone, but also perhaps because of the oh so fabulous accents. Accents is plural due to the crazy amounts of different versions of the British Accent. People living in a town 10 minutes away have a differnet one. Not to mention the huge amount of people not actaully from the UK who live here. I confused and was confused when talking to the different electronics store owners in London yesterday while in search of a part for my laptop. Was that ever good fun. More fun even than seeing the responses of people to hear that yes it is a long way, and yes I am walking.
People here always say 'girl' when they're talking to me. Does that happen in the States or do I just not notice? Do people call you anything?
"Are you lost, girl?"
"Do you have 30 seconds? C'mon girl..."
"Cheer up, girl!"
It's rather nice and not scary. (Btw, the second quote was from a guy on Oxford Street in London wanting me to fill out a survey or something. I just realized that it looks sort of frightening written down.)
I've discovered that being here makes me feel like a little kid. Everything is new and different, people dont understand me, I feel like I should hold someone's hand when crossing the street, I dont know what coins have which value right off hand, and I have to think a bit to tell time.
It's all a very good and pleasant learning experience.

(Btw, pictures will be in my gallery hopefully soon, but possibly not till I get to school...)

3 comments:

emelina said...

Mili, I am so glad that you get to experience this. Please keep telling us details of the culture. I want to know about the colors and the buildings and the accents. How's the food? I miss you horribly, babe. I'm praying for you, and I'm happy that you're there safe. How's the Bowler lady. Awesome as expected?

Lola Bacon said...

Oh oh oh!!! You can answer my question maybe. I've been wondering about this for years. Okay, so you now how over here, in America, you're supposed to walk to the right? Well, over there, do people walk on the left?

Allison said...

heh i *think* people walk on the opposite side from here, but i'm not really sure. yes, i think they do. i get so confused that i cant remember what is what when i'm walking. i know in london it totally didnt matter, but it's same as in downtown ptown you just walk where the stores are that you want to see. actaully, in the High Wycombe city center there are no cars because the streets are too narrow. that's my fave part to walk cuz it doesnt matter where you walk at all. oh no wait it does - i discovered that the busses are the only thing that runs through town and it's SO scary i almost got hit by a double decker. lol.