9.9.04

Headphones On My Head

Every time it rains,
It rains pennies from heaven
Don't you know each cloud contains
Pennies from heaven

You'll find your fortune's falling
All over the town
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down


Trade them for a package of sunshine and flowers
If you want the things you love, you must have showers
So when you hear it thunder don't run under a tree
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me

~Frank Sinatra


This is my song, I think. My dear friend Rose played it for me today. Rain is such a lovely gift. It brings life and new beginings and that awesome wet pavement smell. It makes me feel like a child again when I walk or splash in the rain. Somehow the rain, when I see it or feel it or walk through it, enters my emotions and my thoughts. Don't ever run under a tree, or back into the dorms at Christopher Newport University - there is a whole new world to explore when it rains. Run in it. Splash in it. Dance in it. It's pennies from heaven, how could you ever hate it? Without rain we would not have umbrellas, not have big rubber boots, not have the chance to get wet and not worry about the state of makeup or clothing. Rain is the beautiful chance to forget what is wrong with the day and smile at the sky and thank God for cleansing our world and our hearts.

2 comments:

emelina said...

dude...you write my thoughts and feelings. i really really miss you right now. and i miss the rain. i'm totally gonna quote this post forever, okay? splash around in it for me, okay? it's freezing here today, but i wish it were raining...love you bunches.

Allison said...

hey em, my love, i will definitly splash in the rain for you - we're going to have lots of it next week, from what i hear. missing you, mili