7.5.07

Oh Well.

I was sitting in my Romanesque and Gothic art class tonight and thinking about all the cathedrals I've been in. My professor was lamenting the pathetic-ness of trying to understand what it's like to be in a cathedral by looking at a miserable slide. We watched a movie entitled "Reflections"; a series of shots of Amiens Cathedral backed with piano music and chants along with a periodic description with a British accent. But, in keeping with the unfortunate limitations of film, it does not do the Gothic cathedral justice. I have yet to visit Amiens, but from my experience of cathedrals, I know the feeling of being there in person and experiencing the architecture, the height, and the loftiness. There is nothing quite like it.
[Westminster Cathedral, London]

[St. Peter's Basilica, Rome]

[Sagrada Familia, Barcelona]

[Divinity School, Oxford]

No comments: