1.7.06

Happy July

I got bit today.

Bit good and hard. Six hours ago I was bit, and I still bear a mark. A swollen, pink mark. And my resentment is still poignant.

I get to see Josh soon. Which means I also get to fly in a plane soon. A sense of joy lights my soul in those small moments bearing realization that I still, in some ways, have the heart of a child. This afternoon I was standing in a yard with an expensive view with a little boy, feet in a pond, who turned his face to the sky in greatest excitement and wonder, the word "plane!" on his lips, every time that familiar rumbling sound crossed the sky. I also have a feeling of excitement and wonder as I see a plane, coming or going. I always wish to be on it. That little boy is still young enough to not know that feeling of wishing you were going somewhere. He is content with a hose and plot of grass to spray, and a golden retriever to terrorize. I, on the other hand, wanted to not be standing there, dodging pile of poop and spouts of cold water, rather wishing to be on a plane to South Carolina. But that is okay. I must be content wherever I am.

The moral of the story is:

Take joy and hope in the small things.

Don't try to force a two year old who does not want to have dinner to sit on your lap because no highchair is available: you might get bit.

3 comments:

Janice said...

HA totally thought you meant you were bit by a bug until the end there.

i woke up yesterday with a bg nasty spider bit on a tender bit of skin on the left side of my rip cage, right where the bra goes. that was gross.

although the only human bite i can remember getting that lasted any length of time was purple teeth marks on the tendon between my neck and shoulder courtesy of one rob mcalister's "vampiric urges." did you ever fall victim to that? i think everyone had a bite from him at some point. but wow, six hours. mine only lasted twenty minutes. that kid must have some jaws on him...

Allison said...

lol!! no, i never ever was bit by rob. now i am slightly terrified at the prospect of seeing him in a few week. oh my gosh!! ahhhh!
um, yes, and i still have this mark. i bet it'll still be there tomorrow. yeah he really bit. oooo i was mad.

lyss said...

allie! i was bit by a seven year old! and boy was i ever mad too. kids should wear muzzles when they're not eating. that's the moral i came out with.