24.11.05

Not Thankful Enough

Thanksgiving doesn't actually make anyone thankful, but it does cause well-needed pondering and hopefully gratefulness. For me it usually means that I sit and think about how ungrateful I've been all year. I think really hard about the things I am, or should be, thankful for and support this fantasy that if I think hard enough on it one day that the rest of the year's thanks will fall into place. But no. We are quite a narcissistic society, I find. But this one day, if we do spend it in an attitude of thankfulness we find how much peace and enjoyment can be found in a day and a family gathering. Amazing, hey? Yes... Hans Peter Royer, director of Tauernhof in Austria, encouraged us to be thankful always and tried to impress upon us what a difference it can make in daily life.
I've realized that the last few months I've done my share of being ungrateful (a lot of my friends can attest to this). I would much rather be one of those people who is encouraging others to be thankful, rather than sitting around having a pity party. Or, as is often the case with me, I find myself being thankful with a cynical twist.
Today is an excuse for a new start...
So I'm going to start with the obvious:
I'm thankful for my
-faith (in God, in others).
-freedom (that comes out of that faith and can't be taken away).
-family.
-friends (this means you).
-education.
-opportunities (to do what I like and use what I have to help others).
-health.
-peace.
-reason for living.
-snow.
-mountains (not just for the snow that's on them, but for the cliffs and rock, too).
-airplanes (for enabling me to see the world, change my perspectives, and visit my wonderful boyfriend so far away).
-Stuart (for connecting me to the world. sometimes).
-pineapple juice (it keeps me alive).
... Yaay I can be thankful all day!
Have a wonderful thanksgiving, my lovelies.

1 comment:

Court said...

I'm thankful that filure at the present doesn't mean failure in the past.
Thankful of all the people God taught me love through, and to have love for.