3.11.05

Results of Getting Lost [on the internet]

His [Flaubert] maxim was:
"Be regular and orderly in your life like a bourgeois, so that you may be violent and original in your work."


"If I go on long enough calling that my life I'll end up by believing it. It's the principle of advertising."
Molloy (by Beckett)

[Much Ado About Nothing]
Beatrice: I wonder that you will still be talking, Signior Benedick: nobody marks you.
Benedick: What, my dear Lady Disdain! are you yet living?
Beatrice: Is it possible disdain should die while she hath such meet food to feed it as Signior Benedick? Courtesy itself must convert to disdain, if you come in her presence.
Benedick: Then is courtesy a turncoat. But it is certain I am loved of all ladies, only you excepted: and I would I could find in my heart that I had not a hard heart; for, truly, I love none.
Beatrice: A dear happiness to women: they would else have been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank God and my cold blood, I am of your humour for that: I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.
Benedick: God keep your ladyship still in that mind! so some gentleman or other shall 'scape a predestinate scratched face.
Beatrice: Scratching could not make it worse, an 'twere such a face as yours were.
Benedick: Well, you are a rare parrot-teacher.
Beatrice: A bird of my tongue is better than a beast of yours.
Benedick: I would my horse had the speed of your tongue, and so good a continuer. But keep your way, i' God's name; I have done.

[From the Umberto Eco website]
Hello, and welcome to Porta Ludovica! And a special congratulations to any visitors from Milan who have managed to break free from “Milanese Space,” but I regret to inform you that this Porta Ludovica exists only in cyberspace, and will not help you in triangulating your way back to Piazza Napoli. Sorry!

2 comments:

° ÐãVeØ ° said...

I love that piece of dialogue! Isn't it awesome! It just gets you going doesn't it. You feel the atmosphere of it all.
'Much Ado', is my fave play. Have you seen the KB's movie version? I thought that was done quite well.

emelina said...

as random as this post...

but i really want to take a roadtrip to Canada. With you. And maybe Rosie or someone else really cool.

Can we go visit Janice? I wish it could be sooner than next Summer, but that's probably when it will have to be. I think if I start saving quarters now and don't do any more laundry, I'll have enough money by then for a long weekend in Vancouver.

We could listen to books on tape and eat wheat thins and cheese on the way!